Excluded Category Drone Operations
When operating a remote aircraft less than 2kg, in a commercial capacity, or less than 25kg as a private landholder, there is the option to operate in the Excluded Category. This allows individuals to fly remote aircraft that fit these limitations, with no formal licence requirements, within standard operating conditions.
To operate in all areas professionally, using best practise, a Remote Pilot Licence (RePL) is always recommended. However, the excluded category offers the perfect opportunity for businesses wishing to adopt and trial Remotely Piloted aircraft systems within their organisation.
Due to the absence of licensing requirements, heavy restrictions apply in regards to where you can operate and larger companies usually seek a licensed operator.
Is your drone part of the excluded category?
The below table indicates the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) requirement for a Remote Pilot Licence (RePL) and Remote Operators Certificate (ReOC). Remote aircraft can be utilised commercially in the excluded category where no licensing requirement exists.
|Weight Class||Operation Type||RePL||ReOC|
|>25kg <150kg||Private Landholder||Yes||No|
Is the operating area in the excluded category?
The excluded category has heavy restrictions on operating areas and approvals are not available.
- You must keep your RPA at least 5.5km away from controlled aerodromes
- You must keep your RPA at least 5.5km away from uncontrolled aerodromes where aircraft are present
- You must keep your RPA at least 30 metres away from other people
- You must not fly your RPA higher than 120 metres (400ft) above ground level (AGL)
- You must only fly during the day and keep your RPA within visual line-of-sight
- You must not operate your RPA in a way that creates a hazard to another aircraft, another person or property
- You must not fly your RPA over any populous areas
- You must not fly your RPA over or near an area affecting public safety or where emergency operations are underway
- You must not fly your RPA in prohibited or restricted airspace
- You can only fly one RPA at a time.